Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Musical Inspiration

When I'm feeling unrooted or unsure, I turn to music to give me strength and inspiration. Over the last year, I have made a point of seeking out strong female vocalists, music with powerful melodies, and a beat that moves me. I love Pandora Radio - it has helped me find new artists and songs and it is very responsive to playing what I want to hear. If you want to listen to one of my Pandora stations, just send me your email address and I'll share it with you.

I tend to like rock of many types - country rock, pop rock, Christian rock, hard rock, 80s/90s rock, alternative rock, folk rock. The only kind I don't like is the songs without melody, with screaming and yelling and no actual music. I really like songs with spunky/angsty female vocalists. Their power and emotion channels through me, and I feel stronger knowing that I am not alone.

I also love the game Rock Band. My husband and I play all the time and it's an amazing bonding experience. He usually plays the guitar (sometimes drums) and I tend to sing (although I'm learning the guitar). It feels like teamwork to get through a tough song together, with the crowd screaming all around us. I know the game is a far cry from being real rock stars, but it still feels wonderful. And I think I've strengthened my voice and my ear for tone by playing the game. Music definitely has a strong role in our lives.

Do you play an instrument? Do you play Rock Band? What are your favorite songs?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome and appreciate your comments!