Friday, September 18, 2009

Ripples

A blog is like a pebble tossed into a pond. It begins as a single point. Upon contact with the water, the impact generates ripples, growing ever wider and more expansive, touching things the pebble never touched.

When I started this blog less than two months ago, I barely hoped that someone would read it besides me. Donald doesn't even read it; he knows that if I need to say something to him, I'll do it directly, not through this.

Eventually, I commented on a few blogs I found interesting and their authors returned the favor. My first comment was so exciting! I felt like I had progressed from the single point to the first ripple.

In the past few days, after visiting many new blogs and commenting on some of them, I am overjoyed at the reciprocal response. My community feels like it is growing and I am inspired by what I have found.

I love the image Janice conjured up in her comment when she said, "It's like visiting someone's kitchen and finding friends already at the table!" I am blessed to have such supportive and giving people reading my words and sharing their thoughts.

I would like to return the favor by writing about several posts that hit home for me. I have been thinking about them constantly over the past few days. Perhaps more than a coincidence, I have also been struggling at work this week, striving to be valued for the quality work I do and not for the number of hours I sit in my office. It is a work in progress and all of your words have helped me emerge with hope instead of defeat.

A few days ago, I mentioned Tess' post from The Bold Life, called Notice Anything? When I read it earlier this week, I was suddenly and uncontrollably brought to tears. Her conclusion reads: "If we do not have a moment to stop and listen to one of the best musicians in the world, playing some of the finest music ever written, with one of the most beautiful instruments ever made…How many other things are we missing?" Since reading her post, I have tried to make a point of raising my head when I walk down the street. I have tried to slow down and to remove too many scheduled things from my day. I have made a mental note to myself to pause and to reflect and to be.

Several of the blogs I read had timely posts about struggling with the work/career/happiness balance. Nadia at Happy Lotus wrote about "Working for Good". I have written about my struggle with the workplace and with the fact that I have not yet held a job I loved. Nadia's post gave me the much needed motivation to keep moving towards that goal and not to settle. Lance at The Jungle of Life wrote Happy Work, a post of support for those of us struggling to find the energy to get to work each day. I love his suggestion to "Be the happiness you wish to see in this world!"

Other blogs wrote recently about the best ways to respond to the world around us. 101 Smackdowns for Your Inner Critic posted First Response: Soften, which describes a Tai Chi movement and the best way to react. The author says, "When you soften, you remember what you need, and you remember what you have (which of course is all you need)." Megan at It's All About Joy! wrote Giving Our All, about avoiding kneejerk reactions. Her acknowledgement of wanting to change her life and stop being "Caught up in my head to such an extent that many days I couldn't get out of my own way, even if I had an army of people helping me" definitely hit home for me.

A couple of other blogs take it one step further and encourage readers to take control of themselves in order to improve their lives. Tess on The Bold Life in It's All About You and Karl at Karl Blog in Learning to Let Go both touch on this idea. Karl's post leads his readers through the steps to feeling emotion, controlling how we express that emotion, and how to turn it into something productive and positive. I definitely need to practice letting go.

One of my hardest challenges for letting go will be something Janice writes about on Sharing the Journey in Life Laundry...revisited. I left a comment on her blog and she responded with wonderful suggestions about how to simplify one's life by reducing clutter. I may have quite an opportunity when Donald and I move into a place of our own (someday) since most of our belongings are in storage in his parents' basement. I am looking forward to creating a physical embodiment of the changes I have been making in my life.

What will the next ripple bring?

12 comments:

  1. Daphne,

    You mention lots you are contemplating in life, and I think that the blogs you referenced above will be excellent sources to challenge you as well as to inspire you to heal and grow and love and experience great joy in your life. Gifts of the spirit I am sure are already in your life and just waiting to become more abundant. Aa you share your journey, your thoughts and words and process will affect your readers the same way.

    In my own journey, I find as I am more open the exact thing "I need" is being addressed on someone else's blog that I "happened" to stumble upon through a link. It is being addressed in a way I either hadn't thought of or that challenges me past my comfort zone or inspires me to celebrate something in my own life.

    I think that your husband should read your blog because often our thoughts are expressed far clearer in written form. And I bet in time you'll speak most openly about topics you might barely address with him--like dreams, hopes, visions for the future, fears....

    My children and I are very close--because we live on 40' boat so we really have no choice with that :) We talk about everything, but we also write letters to each other. To express appreciation, or they will ask me what they consider a tough question, or I will ask them what I consider a prying quesiton. Just another form of communication...

    As for clutter--I am addressing that myself. I believe in energy, and the more I release by throwing away, the more freedom I have in this moment. The more room I literally make, the more room there figuratively is. There has been so much good on the boat with even the small bit I've cleaned up I can't imagine how the energy will shift once it all shines. Talk about ripple affect--it pours into all areas of my life.

    Much peace in this stage of your Journey:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Daphne,
    You are a wonderful writer. I feel right at home reading your words and I look forward to future posts. Best to you this weekend! Jodi

    ReplyDelete
  3. Isn't it fun when that ripple starts stretching outward? I know exactly what you're talking about, and have experienced the same great feeling.

    All the blogs you mentioned this week were awesome, and I'm so grateful you included It's All About Joy! Thank you!

    What I've also come to love is how synchronized our blogging community is. As you pointed out, there were three or four similar posts last week, and I find that happens a lot. It's like the Universe talks to us all, and wants to get certain messages out. Many of these bloggers post things in advance, so it's not like they read what's out there and then write something. Many times it's preordained, so to speak.

    In any case, I'm so glad you found useful posts to help you through your week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. jchristin - Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts with me! I have a lot of faith in things happening for a reason and it comforts me to know that I will find what I need in those around me. My husband and I actually talk quite a bit about the subjects of my blog posts, so he isn't left out of the conversation entirely. Brainstorming and talking with him is often where I get my ideas. What a great idea to write letters with your children. Good luck with the clutter on the boat - even small spaces can get filled up with things we don't necessarily need. Peace be with you too.

    Jodi - Thank you so much for the compliment and for visiting my blog. I hope to continue creating a "home" for my readers as long as they enjoy what I have to say. You have a wonderful weekend too!

    Megan - Thanks for stopping by! I do love the ripple and I'm glad you have experienced it too. I should be thanking you for writing It's All About Joy! I'll look forward to reading more of what you have to say. It is strange how the blogging community seems to be in sync with each other, and as I said to jchristin above, it probably happens for a reason. It actually makes me feel much less alone on my journey because I know other people are asking themselves similar questions. Even if we come up with different answers (and I think we should each find our own way), it's wonderful to watch the process unfold.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Daphne -
    I agree with you about this blogging stuff...it's continually amazing to discover and relate to people who otherwise you would never have met. It's definitely inspiring (if not a little bit humbling at times!) Ahhh...a little bit of humility never hurt anyone, right? =)
    Mindy
    www.thesuburbanlife.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your ripples definitely start getting bigger and bigger...figuratively, of course. But it is amazing how quickly it begins to happen :)

    http://www.booshy.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mindy - Thanks for commenting! I agree, it is amazing to be able to connect to people first about ideas, without having to worry about whether we would be friends. I am both inspired and humbled as well.

    Jessica - I'm so glad you stopped by! I have been surprised as well by how quickly it happens. Here's to both of our ripples expanding ever wider.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You have captured so much of the fun of blogging in this post - thank you, it is refreshing.

    I like how you shared about blogs you were reading and enjoying.

    Then I too can click over and take a peak.
    Thank you - fun post.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Daphne,

    Isn't traveling around the blogsphere fun? I love what I learn from each and everyone you mentioned!

    I hope you had a great weekend and an awesome Monday!
    Peggy

    ReplyDelete
  10. patricia - Thanks so much for your comment. I love linking to other inspiring posts. It makes me feel even more connected to such a vibrant community. I'm glad you liked it!

    Peggy - It is fun! I'm so glad you enjoyed the links. I did have a good weekend, thanks! I appreciate your comment.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Daphne,

    Blogging is definitely as you described. We throw that first pebble, not knowing where the ripples will lead us.

    I've read most of the blogs you've linked to and agree, they are all fabulous resources, written by phenomenal people. You've started your blogging journey following the best.

    I wish you all of life's best as you continue on your journey. What a pleasure it will be for me to watch your progress.

    P.S. I have also been working on decluttering. The act of letting go and living with less is indeed liberating.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Barbara - Thank you for your comment! I am very grateful to the blogs I linked to for sharing their inspiration and I'm excited to see where this journey takes all of us. Thank you so much for your kind and warm encouragement. And good for you for decluttering. I'm taking little steps in that direction.

    ReplyDelete

I welcome and appreciate your comments!