Saturday, February 12, 2011

The Truth About Dreams

My husband told me this morning that he had had a dream about us getting it on. We both remarked that it was kinda neat that it was me in his dream and not some unknown female. I have never been the jealous type, especially not when it comes to dreams. Because we don't have control over what our dreams show us, and we both know that.

Which is why I was grateful when Donald told me that he wasn't worried when I told him many months ago that I was feeling guilty because one of my ex-boyfriends kept showing up in my dreams in sexy contexts. Even in my dreams I felt guilty, knowing that I was married, that I was acting in a way that I didn't want to be. My guilt was stemming from something I had no control over, not from any hidden desires or intentions.

The best part is that ever since I told Donald about those guilt-inducing dreams, they stopped happening. Whatever underlying cause there was for my dreams was gone, forgiven, washed away.

That said, however, I do think dreams have a very important purpose. If not for those dreams, I might not have shared that fear with my husband, which could have bothered me for years to come. Dreams do tell us, sometimes, about what is happening in our subconscious, what is bothering us behind the scenes, at some level of which we are barely aware.

Dreams are just another way for us to hear ourselves, to understand more of our own contexts and perspectives. It's like looking through someone else's eyes for a time. When we wake up, those dreams either become part of our reality or melt away.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome and appreciate your comments!