Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Shortsighted

Everything I do now will matter in the long run. Some things will matter more than others. Even the quality of the little things will prove my abilities and skills and I cannot afford to squander those opportunities.

My attitude about my job (and former jobs) has often degenerated into a very shortsighted view. I think it happens because I retreat into a "take each day one at a time" mentality, which can be incredibly helpful and which also encourages me to forget about the long-term implications of what I do each day.

I had a conversation with my boss today. I didn't have to tell him that I feel underutilized. He knows. He is aware of my potential and the fact that my current project is not as busy as he thought it would be. We talked about additional projects I can take on. It became abundantly clear to me that my boss is thinking about the long-term. He wants to connect me with projects that will be developing for years to come. He wants to groom me to be a key player in his future endeavors.

I was floored by my shortsightedness. I was also humbled by my underestimation of my boss. He is often away and I do not get the opportunity to meet with him very often. I should have had a little more faith in his awareness of my abilities and his interest in having me achieve my potential.

My motivation to improve my attitude is now boosted by the knowledge that I am appreciated and will soon be given opportunities to prove my worth and to grow as an individual. What amazing timing the universe has!

2 comments:

  1. It's amazing how you feel when you get that "ah ha!" moment. Completely freeing, almost...like "duh...should've seen THAT COMING"...even though we never do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. booshy - I completely agree about it feeling freeing. This self-discovery experience is also incredibly exhausting. Now that I see it, though, I cannot ignore it. How do you keep your goals in sight when there are so many distractions?

    ReplyDelete

I welcome and appreciate your comments!